Mindfulness for Couples
The purpose of this course is to help individuals and couples learn and practice mindfulness.
PART 1: WHAT IS MINDFULNESS?
- Applications of mindfulness practice for couples will be reviewed.
- Examples of how to use mindfulness practice will be demonstrated
- The structure will be provided for couples to apply the practice to their relationship.
PART 2: PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR BODY, LISTEN TO YOUR STORIES
- Couples will increase awareness of stories from the past that cause emotional reactivity.
- The method of body scans will be demonstrated and explained.
- Couples will increase awareness of family stories that they pass to their children.
PART 3: COMMUNICATING WITH MINDFULNESS
- Mindfulness practice to help calm the mind and body will be demonstrated.
- Mindfulness practice application for reducing emotional reactivity will be shown.
- Couple skills to learn to let go of rumination on past and future will be demonstrated.
PART 4: KEEPING THE FIRES BURNING: MINDFUL SEX
- Ways that mindfulness practice can enhance sexual connection will be discussed.
- Mindfulness practices to get couples out of their head and into their senses will be demonstrated.
- Applications of mindfulness in sexual experiences will be discussed by the couple.
PART 5: USING MINDFULNESS WITH CHILDREN
- Literature will be reviewed regarding the efficacy of mindfulness to help children with focus, concentration, and self-soothing.
- The value of the family practice of mindfulness will be explored
- Mindfulness practices to use with children will be explored.
- Each segment will have a video lesson teaching mindfulness concepts.
- Several segments will have an additional video demonstrating mindfulness practices.
- Several readings from Change your Story, Change Your Brain for Better Relationships by Dr. Linda Miles will be included. (In press with Xlibris)
- Additional resources and readings will be included.
“As you live with better intention, you can literally change the structure of your brain - and your life.”
Dr. Linda Miles is a leading expert on relationships and mindfulness. She is a psychotherapist, author, relationship expert and captivating speaker. She has studied and worked in her field of counseling psychology for over 35 years and focuses on mindfulness, stress reduction, mental health and relationships. Dr. Miles is personable and accessible in her books and articles and loves to teach about how mindfulness and loving kindness can positively change your brain, your chemistry and your life. Her first book, written with her husband, Robert Miles, M.D., won a literary prize as a finalist for Forward Non-fiction book of the year. She has published several books on relationships and mindfulness as well as articles in the Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe, Reuters and Miami Herald. She has been a guest expert on numerous national TV shows including CNN, Fox News, ABC, and NBC. Her most recent book is Change Your Story, Change Your Brain.